Saturday 21 November 2015

Film Review • Spectre

     Though this film has been out for a while now I finally got myself to go see it. If I'm being honest I only went because I had 2 for 1 tickets. I must own up... I have never previously watched any James Bond film! Don't judge me. Though reading other reviews I think that worked in my favour. I really enjoyed the film a lot! I thought the cinematography was just beautiful and the story was really captivating. Though everyone thats watched the film some what disagreed.

Image from http://www.007.com/spectre/posters/#gallery_2
     The film opens in Mexico City at the Day of the Dead festival which was both ironic and beautiful. The festival itself looked like so much fun! But back to James, obviously he had a girl on his arm, how cliche. He leaves her with a comedic exit to continue his mission, which is shown by one continues long shot. This made the film geek inside of me so happy! It was such a beautiful scene, and probably one of my favourites overall! at the end of this scene we are begin to learn some information, which we progressively see throughout the film. Where would the fun be if we were given it all at once!? Though it ends with a big explosion, which doesn't help Bond.
Back in London we figure out that Bond was not supposed to be in Mexico and is 'grounded' which as you could guess he just didn't abide to. Bond seems adamant and so focused, we know he knows something we don't. Fast forward to the confusing part for me, as I haven't previously watched any films I didn't get the links to Sky Fall. Though I could sort of guess what was happening just not 100% sure. We are shown the reason for Bond being in Mexico when he shouldn't have been (Im not giving anything away).
     Now we fly to Rome, a beautiful city, you can tell the production value was crazy with all the beautiful shots scene. It seems like Bond doesn't know what he's there for, and is hoping that something will happen. Luckily for him it does and he finds this secret group of people that interests him. Another one of my favourite scene is here. The classic Bond villain is sat in darkness and we cannot see his face which sets a huge feeling of suspense and tension among us as an audience.
A lot happens before we get to the end, I'm not going to spoil anything. But of course we have a good hour of the plot unwinding and continuing from country to country. I did find this very intriguing as I love and prefer films that take time to explain the story!
     After the mission unravels we end up in a dessert setting which funnily enough is deserted apart from one huge building. This is where we meet the infamous Bond villain, who strangely lives alone with only security... and a cat, each to there own. Bond, the mastermind he is, beats the villain by blowing up his location and making a swift exit. We believe he is dead, but of course he isn't! The film couldn't just end there.
     The film then does the cliche thing of the bad guy survives and captures the good guy, who he almost kills, but in the end the good guy escapes. Not forgetting it also just had to have Bond walking of into the distance with the Bond Girl, which I didn't like. I don't believe it added anything to the story, its as if Hollywood films have a checklist and this needs to be added.
     Overall I did enjoy it! It was a beautiful well crafted film! I know need to go and watch all the other Bond films, maybe then I will have the same view as everyone else? What are your thoughts?