Thursday 3 December 2015

Film Review • Bridge Of Spies

Spielberg has teamed up with Dreamwork's and Tom Hanks to create his recent Cold Wartime movie, Bridge Of Spies. I hope you don't mind lengthy films because this ones a long one, at 2 hours 21 minutes this film is a commitment. Half of me loved this film but then half of me didn't. The casual film viewer inside of me liked it, but then the film student inside of me escapes changing my opinion.
Overall the story was so captivating and interesting and makes me want to research more into it! I wonder how much of this 'based on a true story' film is actually true. 
Image from http://movieweb.com/bridge-spies-movie-poster-tom-hanks/
Throughout you see the struggle of a man that has to convince a supreme court judge that an Illegal Alien in the USA is not a spy. At the time of the Cold War, even know thats a difficult task to do. The film progresses to show how the media and government control what we know and see, which immensely relates to todays World. Though I enjoyed the majority of the story the end ruined it for me. You see the struggle of residents in Germany and how there lives are being ruined by the context of what is going on during this time (Berlin War). Yet this happy American man gets to go back to his perfect safe home and just forget about the World he has seen. The film ends seeing him as a hero, giving us facts of what he further went on to achieve. Just forgetting about the struggles of the rest of the World. 
Though I had half and half views on the story one thing I loved overall was the Cinematography. My nerdy side is coming out but it was all so beautiful! The shots used, there angles, there colour... it just made me so excited! The use of long takes also makes any film geek squeal. I love love love long takes as it shows off the talents of the cast and crew and makes me appreciate the films so much more.
I tried to make this short and simple with NO SPOILERS... I hate spoilers! I would recommend this film as it is interesting (though only go if you can handle long films). Also its Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks!